Acoustic Beekeeping with the
Apivox Smart Monitor
Did you know, that Bees "vibrate" to each other, in order to communicate?
Apivox is a multi-function diagnostic listening tool.
What does Apivox hear?
Apivox can distinguish various levels of sounds & their intensity.
Then, interpret these sounds by correlating and comparing them. And finally, gives us this information in the form of various dials & graphs.
Very cool indeed!!
.......this makes us "3rd party" eves droppers! Listening in on their conversations!
How to read your
Apivox Smart Monitor;
Dividing the Apivox screen into thirds.
Before use, we must confirm our
"Bee Signals" vs "Wind Noise".
This is called a "blow test", into the Mic that you're using. Once the Mic picks up the "Bee Signals", it should look similar to the picture, lower left.
Learning to read the X-axis scale of sounds is easy.
A "Quick Reference" list of definitions at key Hertz levels.
Some are "ranges", others more specific. It's still up to the skilled Beekeeper to "compare & correlate" the readings they see on their Apivox, at the same time, taking into account of the local environmental conditions. Putting all of this information together, is much like a "puzzle". Once completed, we gain an over all "picture" of the colonies condition, and what they're currently experiencing.
Here's one example of a test in "General Condition Mode".
Did you know, that the Bees will give us a 2-3 weeks heads up BEFORE Swarming?
Plenty of time to gather equipment & create a plan of action.
Eddy Woods Timeline
& how to read it.
A swarming event, takes almost a month to build up. By using our Apivox, we're better able to "get out ahead of" the Bees desire to Swarm away!
Did you know, if you "thump" the side of the brood box with your hand, the colony will Hiss at you?
The "quality of the Hiss", tells us a great deal about their current status. We call this a "thump tests", and is completed AFTER our quiet Apivox testing.
Apivox tests 1st, Thump tests 2nd.
What does the Hiss mean?
The higher the hiss & shorter the duration =
Stable colony. Versus, the softer the hiss & longer the duration =
Unstable colony, preparing to Swarm soon.
Better to be too early, than too late. Wouldn't you agree?
By learning how to read "Eddy Woods Timeline" and learning to use the "Apivox Smart Monitor"...... together, we're better able to determine the current condition of the colony & much more!
Once I've confirmed the colony is in "Swarm Mode", I could let them "play out" and build me some Swarm Cells, to harvest a few weeks or days later. Or, if I could go ahead and perform my preferred "Swarm Prevention Strategy". Either way, I'm now out ahead of my Bees, strategically speaking.
If the colony is "stable" and shows no signs of being in Swarm Mode, I can now plan to add the next Super, provided the lower box is nearly full.
Where do we take our sound readings?
We test most often on the Porch entrance, between 11am to 2pm, when most of the large Field Bees are out.
Testing on top, in the evening,
tells us much about the days Nectar gathering efforts.
Which Mic to use?
You have 4 different choices. We prefer using our Bluetooth Ear piece, to test on the porch. This allows us to remain cord-less, as we stand behind the hive and take our readings.
- Apivox is about a 4 gb download.
- Designed for only Android devices. Cell phones or tablets.
- We use a Samsung Galaxy E tablet and a small Galaxy cell phone, both Android devices.
- Must be Android version 4.5 or higher.
- Tip - If you don't already have an Android device, you can easily find used Android Cell phones on Craigslist, for very little money.
- You must have a gmail account address for purchase.
- A "Users Manual" is also sent with purchase.
- If there are any errors during download, please take a SnapShot of message and return send to Serjio Glebskij. He will correct & resend.
- In order to "download", you must be connected to a wi-fi system.
- Once downloaded, Apivox DOES NOT need wi-fi to work. It is a "stand alone" app.
- Before you're able to use your Apivox, it must be "balanced". Please reference the following link; "Installing & Setup of Application"
Have we peaked your interest yet?
This was simply a quick "over view" about the Apivox Smart Monitor. Again, we've only shown you a little bit about the Apivox.
Would you like to learn more?
If so, we can be reached at 918-798-2251 for further Questions & Answers. Our email address is; firstname.lastname@example.org If you're within driving distance from us, you might want to attend our "Acoustic Beekeeping" class. Please see our "Beekeeping Classes"
page, with a listing of various class dates.
Want to buy your own "Apivox Smart Monitor"?
Cost for the app is only $40. It can't be found on traditional app stores. It must be ordered at the following link; Apivox Smart Monitor.
Our final thoughts.....
- Apivox is powerful & accurate. However, it's still up to the Beekeeper to understand and know what to do next.
- Apivox is establishing itself as an entirely new Genre in Beekeeping evolution. It's here to stay!
- Don't "get it & set it". As with most new "things", they can collect dust after the initial emotion of purchase passes. Plug into our classes, or give us a call on the phone. We'll be glad to help you understand much more.
- Apivox came onto the market in July of 2016. Since this time, we've taught & helped many new and older Beekeepers, just like you. We can be reached at 918-798-2251 or via email at email@example.com
- To the doubters and skeptics out there; you're simply missing out. You certainly don't have to have an Apivox Smart Monitor in order to be a sound Beekeeper, but it sure does make life a little easier! Apivox is solid.
- If you're seriously interested in learning much more from us, please consider plugging into the Personal Advisor Program. Our most popular service to date. A private coaching/support system, designed to increase your "Bee IQ" rapidly and thereby reduce the massive "learning curve" you'll face in your Beekeeping efforts. Please take the time to read more about the Personal Advisor Program, and all the VALUE that we've packed into this service. If you have questions, give me a shout.
Thank you for taking the time to read & learn!
We don't think you'll be disappointed.